Did I mention in my last post that we love Mexican food…are you sensing a theme going on in my house lately? Last week we had Horchata Smoothies, pickled hot peppers with tomatillos, and we had tacos (twice!). I am not complaining merely stating the obvious. Hope you like Mexican dishes, because I am posting another one for you today. I promise I will break out of this trend soon, although my taste buds are really happy right now! Aside from all of the Mexican themed dinners in our house lately we have been enjoying a few spicy breakfast dishes as well. My new variation of Huevos Rancheros was a huge hit at breakfast the other day, the fried green tomatillos that were inspired by my Southern upbringing were crispy on the outside, tender in the center, and they had just the right amount of tartness. I really think that I may like them more .
I set up plates in the kitchen like an assembly line and layered charred tortilla’s, fried green tomatillo’s , my families favorite mini-omelette style eggs, then smothered them all with a heaping scoop of my fast and smokey black beans, then I let my family customize their toppings with the condiments at the table. It was fast, easy, and delicious! How would you stack your Huevos Rancheros?
Huevos Rancheros with Fried Green Tomatillo’s (Gluten-Free)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4
A new spin on huevos rancheros, with crispy fried green tomatillos, smokey black beans, and lots of tasty toppings!
- 3-5 large tomatillos, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1/2 cup g-free, non GMO, yellow corn meal
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground sun dried chile powder or you can also use ancho chile powder
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 white corn tortillas, preferably organic/ non-GMO, blistered and charred in a cast iron skillet
- 4 farm fresh eggs, prepared as you like, we cook individual eggs omelete style in a small cast iron skillet
- 1 cup prepared black beans
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- pickled peppers (optional)
- queso fresco, crumbled (optional)
For the Fried Green Tomatillos:
- In a small dish combine the corn meal, chile powder, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. Dredge slices of tomatillos through the cornmeal until evenly coated on each side.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Fry the tomatillos in two batches cooking each side until just golden but not mushy. This won't take much longer than a minute for each tomatillo slice. Once cooked set the tomatillos on to paper towels to drain, wipe out the pan, then add the remaining oil, heat, and fry the second batch of tomatillo slices.
- Cook eggs as desired then when ready to assemble place 2 charred tortillas on each plate, top with 3-4 fried tomatillo slices, an egg, 1/4 cup of black beans, a generous scoop of salsa, fresh cilantro, and any other toppings that you like. We chose queso fresco cheese and pickled peppers.