When I think about summer as a kid I remember spending all day making mud pies, chasing the ice cream truck, and catching green lizards to clamp on my ear lobes like earrings. Don’t judge, I grew up in Alabama, there wasn’t much more to do! For years I was convinced that bubble gum ice cream straight from the truck was the pinnacle of frozen treats. In my humble 7-year old opinion you couldn’t get any better than that!
I can vividly remember the summer that everything changed when I had my first coke float. It was fizzy and creamy, scoop-able and slurpable, and a total game changer for me as far as summer treats go. No longer did the ice cream man’s bubblegum ice cream reign supreme I was smitten by floats and have been creating them ever since at home.
Last week I whipped up a batch of my latest float creation, errr obsession… with strawberry puree, ginger beer, and vegan coconut ice cream for Eliza and a few of our friends. When Eliza’s best friend’s mom was still raving about how good the float was the next day I knew that I had to share it here with all of you. Only 4 ingredients separate you from this decadent treat, and if your strawberries are perfectly ripe and sweet it’s only 3! What are you waiting for? Go make some memories and this float!
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- ½ tablespoon caster sugar, optional
- 2 cups chilled ginger beer
- gluten free & vegan coconut flavored ice cream
- Place the strawberries and sugar in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide the strawberry puree between 4 glasses. Fill each glass with ¼ of the ginger beer, and top with a scoop of ice cream. Serve immediately.